TFI Series – New RIA12 Surge Filter
High-performance surge filters protecting DC/DC converter from over voltage transients
• Clamps over voltage transients (up to 385 VDC) at 168 VDC
• Universal use: Can be used with any DC/DC converter
• Complies with RIA12, NF F 01-510 Surge susceptibilities
• Power range: 0 – 300 Watt
• Wide input voltage range: 43 – 160 VDC
• Brownout voltage 36 VDC min.
• Operating temperature range -40 to +95°C
• 3-year product warranty
The new TFI line is a set of surge filters which come in compact DIP-24 (TFI 20) or 1.6” x 1” (TFI 150 and TFI 300) packages. Placed in front of any DC/DC converter the TFI clamps momentary over-voltage transients to a safe value in order to protect the DC/DC converter from being damaged.
During normal operation the output voltage follows the input voltage (Vout = Vin – 2 VDC typ.) up to the point of 168 VDC where the voltage is actively clamped. Whereas the transients defined within the EN 50155 (up to 154 VDC) are covered by the wide input range of dedicated railway converters the TFI handles the stricter definition laid-out in the RIA12 standard which allows transients of up to 20ms at 385 VDC. This level of protection is specifically required in railway applications where high voltage transients are expected but can also be used for 72, 96 and 110 VDC battery systems in railway applications.